Root canal treatment, also called endodontic therapy, is necessary when the tooth pulp is infected as a result of a deep cavity, dental fractures or trauma. When the dental pulp inflammation or infection is left untreated, it can cause severe pain or lead to an abscess. This treatment involves removal of the infected pulp, disinfection and filling (sealing / filling) of the root canal. The tooth is then restored with a definitive coronary filling or a semi-crown / crown.
Root-canal treatment is a complex treatment, which may involve several steps in cases of advanced infection (without proper treatment, the infection spreads, which can finally lead to loss of tooth).
Due to the complexity of the endodontic system, a quality endodontic treatment implies the proper cleaning and sterilization of the endodontic space which can only be obtained by alternating and combining mechanical methods (mechanical instrumentation that removes debris inside the pulp chamber and root canal) and chemical (irrigation with solutions of dissolution / disinfection). Mechanical instrumentation of root canals can be done manually or by power-operated instruments – rotating endodontic instruments.
Since the 1990s, endodontic treatment has been using the electric micromotor, and nowadays this device is an indispensable part of performing an efficient and qualitative endodontic treatment. Together with the endodontic micromotor, rotary instruments are used.
This enables us to deal with extremely curved channels respecting their natural shape, while making the mechanical processing step much more efficient and shorter in time. Top endodontic engines have integrated a detector, called Apex Locator, which allows the dentist to locate the tip of the root and avoid perforations.
Advantages of rotational endodontics for manual root canal treatment:
- Faster treatment (often in one session);
- Patients feel more comfortable during treatment;
- More precision (instrument flexibility allows the approach of extremely curved channels);
- High quality treatments.
However, since each endodontic system has mechanically cleaned areas, the only way we can cleanse and sterilize the root canal system is through the efficient use of irrigation solutions and their activation with endodontic ultrasonic tips.
The safety of dental maneuvers derives from the degree of comfort you will experience, so endodontic treatment in our clinic will be carried out on the basis of the following criteria:
- Painless treatment – Although considered one of the most painful procedure in the past, by using last generation anesthetics the root-canal treatment became and experience that our patients can easily put behind.
- Rotary root-canal treatments – using rotational endodontic technology, we obtain a root canal preparation of superior and faster quality.
- Effective irrigation – the use of endodontic irrigation solutions and ultrasonically activated ozone solutions allow more efficient sterilization of the endodontic space compared to conventional methods.
- Applying bioceramic materials – sealing the root canals with bioceramic materials with non-toxic properties which are biologically stable, bioactive and biodegradable.
- Wear monitoring of tools – Drills and needles used in root-canal treatments are subject to wear and tear over time. When these instruments no longer meet the high safety standards, they are disposed of and replaced with new ones. Thus, by checking the instruments periodically, we manage to considerably reduce the risks of endodontic maneuvers.
Why is it important to save my natural teeth?
It is easy to understand why some people might think that false teeth are even better than natural teeth, but this is not true. Your natural teeth are part of a complex system of nerves, vessels and bone tissue. Although they may sometimes have their problems, the ideal oral health solution is usually keeping as much as possible the natural structure of your teeth. As the American Endodontics Association says: “nothing is as good as a natural tooth,” and “saving a natural tooth should always be the first choice for good health and best cosmetic results.”
Key advantages for preserving natural teeth:
·The loss of a tooth not followed by prostethic treatment besides esthetic issues will eventually lead to secondary effects such as occlusal disbalance with very serious effects on the temporomandibular joint with impact on the overall balance of the posture.
·Greater comfort. With restorations like crowns, bridges, or dentures, you may need to undergo surgery, apply foul-tasting adhesive pastes, deal with shifting prostheses, and deal with any other number of hassles associated with artificial teeth.
·More dietary options. A lot of research has shown that by preserving your natural teeth, you maintain “normal biting force, so you can continue to eat your favourite foods.” In contrast, prostheses may not be able to handle certain fruits, vegetables, meats, and snacks.
·A beautiful look. While restoration materials approximate the appearance of natural teeth as closely as they can, nothing looks quite like real enamel, although it can entail a greater monetary investment.
Grandismedozon recommends the following tips to preserve natural teeth:
– Brush your teeth at least twice per day and floss or use mouth irrigation at least once per day.
– Eat a healthy and balanced diet to maintain overall well-being and optimal body functioning.
– Choose preventive care procedures at the clinic once every 6 months. Professional teeth cleaning and hygiene and regular check-ups will help Grandismedozon team identify oral health problems before they get worse and become more difficult to treat.
– Choose treatments that will preserve your teeth, rather than going straight for extraction. For example, if you have an infected root-canal, we recommend that you choose the root canal therapy instead of the immediate tooth extraction.